Monday, January 16, 2023

A Friend Named Steve

 

A Friend Named Steve

©by Bud Lemire on Jan 16, 2023



I was told, in Louisiana, he fell out of a tree

Helping out, after a hurricane, and fell quickly

He ended up at Harbor Tower, and needed care

Through the agency I worked for, I became aware


Looking back ten years ago, it seems like a dream

Donna wanted me to help with him, be part of the team

I was shy at first, but then I got to know him

Donna would come by, to give him a trim


We got to know each other well

I'd listen to his past that he would tell

Trips to Beaver Island, with his Dad

All the plane trips, that they had


On TV during the day, he watched CNN News

We both agreed, and had the same political views

In the evening, it was “Archer,” “Futurama,” and “Family Guy”

I'd stay until work was done, visit awhile, and say goodnight and bye


He'd tease me for a reaction, and watch my face

I always had a snappy comeback, to put him in his place

He said to me once, “It's great to have another intelligent person to talk to”

As the time passed by, the friendship that we had come to know, grew


Whenever there was something, that I didn't want to do

He'd joke around, and we always made it through

He was a good man, and also very smart

If you knew him like I did, he had a good heart


Steve, you made it to the spirit world now. You

can walk, and do many things you couldn't before.

You are free of the limitations your body gave you.

We are all free of our limitations when we pass.

Thank you for being a friend of mine. As I was

there for you, you were also there for me. The

world out there is a cruel place, and we fought

our fears together. Thank you my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment