Friday, January 5, 2018

Repeat & Assure


Repeat & Assure

© by Bud Lemire on Oct 11, 2017




In my line of work, I am always in repeat

When I interact, with each resident I meet

In Assisted Living, or a Nursing Home

There's so much to do, I am never alone



How many cards?” “How many tiles?”

I tell them, and I see all their smiles

Where am I suppose to be, where should I go?”

Is there something I should do, because I just don't know”



I don't know how I got here, did I come off the street?”

They sure are nice to me, I have a bed and food to eat”

If I left this place, I know I'd lose my way”

I guess I have it pretty good, so I guess I will stay”



You know, I don't remember anything at all”

It's like my memory, is behind a brick wall”

Why can't I remember, isn't it a shame”

I guess I am lucky, that I remember my name”



I tell them, they take good care of you

They tell you where to go, and what to do

So, where you are right now, is the best place to be

Take it from a Senior Companion, who knows better than me





Many of the residents have dementia. This means they can't

remember things that even happened 5 minutes ago. It varies

in cases, but you need to repeat everything, and you need to

assure them when they are doing something right.

The assurance you give them today, is something

worth repeating over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment