Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Cup And A Smoke


A Cup And A Smoke
By Bud Lemire on May 16, 2009


 

I remember long ago in my memory
Seeing Mom and Dad at the table with a cup of coffee
A cigarette in one hand, and a cup of coffee in the other
It was enjoyed so much by my Father and my Mother

 
It’s been a tradition that many still do
A morning ritual that helps you get through
A cup and a smoke, early in the day
A smile and a feeling, to send you on your way

 
I grew up on coffee, drank it as a kid
Dunking toast in it, was what I always did
Some cream and sugar to make it sweet
Two more slices in the toaster and my breakfast was complete

 
I never smoked, but I know the feeling that’s there
When the sensation from a puff, touches you everywhere
I get that feeling from many things that I do
But I do understand what the smoke does for you

 
I raise my cup to my smoking friends here
This coffee tastes good, I wonder if I could have a beer?”
Maybe I’ll settle for a toast to dunk in my cup”
Hold that elevator for me, I’m going up”

I wrote this poem for all my friends who come down early in the morning to have cup of coffee with their smoke. In all kinds of weather, they come down. They gather around and meet others who do the same. In many ways it’s better than being alone in your apartment. Making new friends, and sharing your thoughts and latest news.
Like many places, the health of the many outweigh the choices of the few. I know it becomes an inconvenience, but think of it as prolonging other lives of the ones that don’t smoke. It’s your choice to smoke, so this is in honor of all my smoking’ friends. Drink a cup of coffee and have an enjoyable smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment