Sunday, January 31, 2016

My Friend John


My Friend John

by Bud Lemire on April 5, 2012



I met you in the Escanaba Taxi several years ago

That was the beginning because one day I'd know

The caring man man with the humorous side

An intelligent guy who held a smile so wide



When we played dice, and you joined in the game

With your presence, it just wasn't the same

You'd sing a song, with each shake you took

Then we'd all stop and take a look

You weren't afraid to take chances on every turn

It's just like life, because that's how we learn



I remember one night I played the TV Themes for Tony and you

You were guessing the classics, there was so much you knew

I saw you playing Scrabble alone late at night

I'd stop in to say hello and see if everything was alright

You spent many nights playing Hangman with me

On your turn you always had a special category



You were coughing a lot and falling down

The smiling face was now wearing a frown

I recall one night when you fell from your chair

You were lost in your thoughts that you would share



I knew you've been thinking of your life here

Yet somehow you always seemed to conquer your fear

You fought every challenge that came your way

I'll remember you John, as I do every day



Life can be painful, and we each have a choice

When making decisions, wait, do I hear a voice?

“It's alright little pilgrim, I have no more pain”

I know it was John Hyry, yet it sounded like John Wayne

He sits with Angels in the Heavenly place

I see images of him with a smiling face



Dedicated to my friend John Hyry, who lived down the hallway from me.

I first met John when he brought me home in the Escanaba Taxi from Elmer's to unload my groceries.

I use to see him riding his bike all around town.

When he moved into the Harbor Tower, we played dice, Hangman, and Scrabble.

I shall miss you my friend, but I know you are in a much better place, Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment