Friday, December 23, 2016

Autumn House, In The Night


Autumn House, In The Night

© 2003 by Bud Lemire



It was a rainy night, at the Autumn House

As the words “Help Me, help me,” came from her mouth

I checked with her, and everything was alright

So I left the room, after turning out the light



I entered the kitchen, to see what I would bake

Was it to be cookies, or was it to be cake?

I mixed it up good, and then I let it cook

Then I sat down, and read the Communication book



I walked to one room, because I heard a sound

Awake was the man, who liked to tinker around

I made sure he was comfortable, and returned to the cake

Removed it from the oven, to see what else I'd make



Frosted it all over, which didn't take too long

Then from the front bedroom, there came an eerie song

The oldest resident, sang her songs this way

I checked in on her, and left her doing okay



I placed out all their clothes, for the morning hour

And checked to see, who would get a shower

I put the washcloth and towel, somewhere easy to access

Then went back to the kitchen, to clean up my mess



I made the rounds again, to see what I would find

The reading lady was asleep, with pillows propped up behind

Everyone was bathed, dressed, and up, as we came upon daylight

This ended my shift, at Autumn House, In The Night




It was a home for people with dementia called Autumn House in Montesano, Washington.

I had the night shift and took care of the people who lived there. I did cooking

and cleaning and showering and more. It was an experience I will always cherish

close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment