Friday, December 23, 2016

Bob, The Great Blue Heron


Bob, The Great Blue Heron

© by Bud Lemire on July 14, 2012




There's a friend of mine that I often see

We call him Bob, but he's much more to me

A Great Blue Heron, who comes to Escanaba each year

If you have a fish to share, he will come near



I didn't name him Bob, someone else called him that

He eats a lot of fish, but he doesn't get fat

I'll find him by the Water Plant, and other places too

And take pictures of him, and all the things he can do



He has a design on his neck, beauty at its best

Sometimes he'll close his eyes and he'll take a rest

People give him fish, but he catches them also

He loves the attention of people who come and go



I get annoyed when people scare him away

A bird like him doesn't show up every day

I defend Bob, because he can not speak

I always watch him, as he moves his beak



Wherever there is fish, you can find him there

I even saw Bob in Wells, he can be anywhere

If you're driving along and see Bob as you pass by

Take time to get closer and get out just to say “hi”



I've been taking pictures of Bob for years now.

I look forward each time he comes back here.

Now and then you'll get people who are not nice to Bob.

But Bob means no harm and he really is a special creature

we share this world with. Bob and I each love fish. Of course

I like mine baked. He eats his raw. Thank you Bob for being our friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment