Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Pond


The Pond

© by Bud Lemire on July 15, 2016




I remember as a kid, watching the pollywog

On Aronson Island, soon to be a frog

A pond at the entrance, and the old dirt road

Behind it were plenty of frogs, even a toad



Green Leapers jumped fast and so very high

You'd have to be quick, or they'd all be bye bye

The toads just hopped along, they were slow

You'd always find them, wherever they'd go



We'd bring the frogs home, and put them in a box

One got away, because we didn't use locks

Into Mom's bedroom, and never to be found

No sleep for Mom, it was now Heaven bound



These days as I walk the Island's shore

I found a pond where frogs are galore

Instead of capturing them with my hand

I capture them with my camera, as I walk through the sand



It brought a big smile to my face

Bringing me back to my childhood, a wonderful place

From a pollywog to a frog, as time moves along

From a kid to an adult, in the Universal Song





Back then Aronson Island was all dirt roads, and it

was called Sand Island, and at times Seagull Island.

Right at the entrance was a big pond in the middle of

the sand, and it had Pollywogs in it. Behind that was

grass and many Green Leaper Frogs. Me and my friends

would be there catching the frogs. It was a lot of fun for

us kids back then. These days it is enjoyable just to see

the frogs and pollywogs and capture them with my camera.

Oh, the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment